writersatplay

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Every once in a while you just have to smell the cow patties.

Ha! Catchy title huh? Well, a new year and new resolutions - for some of us. I didn't really make any this year, because, well, because I totally suck at setting goals and keeping them. Actually, I don't have trouble setting them, its the keeping them part that I'm bad at. But, I digress. That's not what's really on my mind today.

I've been writing (serious, I mean business this time writing) for going on four years now. When I started out, I sorta thought in the back of my mind that by the third year I'd have sold. HA! Well, now I'm thinking maybe year 4 is my lucky number. It really doesn't matter - I mean, it DOES matter in the 'I have to do this some day sort of way' - but even if I don't sell this year - or next year - I'm going to keep going and along the way I'm going to keep learning and growing as a writer. Which reminds me of what I wanted to talk about.

I learned, or re-learned something fun the other day. A friend pointed it out to me when I was trying to figure out why in the world my scene wasn't working. I had just finished this what I consider to be GREAT :-) opening scene. Lots of action, lots of conflict - all in the heroines pov - and then I decide after 8 pages or so I'm done with her and need to get the hero's pov. So I switch over and start a section with him. I start it out nice and slow, him walking off - away from her and everything that had just happened and his first action? Taking a deep breath and smelling the cattle pens nearby. I kid you not. And for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why this wasn't working. Duh. Sometimes I just need a good slap upside the head from another writer or friend that can point out what for whatever reason I was obviously blinded to. Basic science and all that - For every action there has to be a reaction. What did all that had just happened make the hero feel? I guess for some reason he felt like he wanted to walk out and smell cow patties. I'm sure if I'd left that scene all alone it would have really tanked. In more way than one. :-) I'm reworking it now - trying to dig more into what he's really feeling. That's some of what really makes a story work after all.

It's a very good thing that we have writer friends that can point out little things along the way, and that we can take workshops and read and constantly be growing and learning. Otherwise, there just is no telling what sorts of things I might write.

So - New Year's resolutions - not really - unless you want to count that I never want to just stand still and not be learning all that I can about the work that I love.

Posted by Anonymous :: 7:10 PM :: 0 Comments:

Have Something to Say?

---------------------------- ~~~ ----------------------------