writersatplay

Saturday, June 04, 2005

Do we intimidate ourselves?

Speaking for myself, I'd say the answer is yes.

Take my current wip - I love the concept and have a good 'feeling' about it. But it is very different from what I've written up to now. For a start, it's likely to be single title rather than category. It's more romantic comedy than home and hearth. It's a concept that has a limited time to be relevant (assuming reality television has limited time to be relevant ). See the intimidation has already started!

Then, instead of focusing on my plot, I start fretting about which publishers it might suit and whether I now have to think about getting an agent. Are we shaking in our shoes yet?

When you add in the concerns about it not being funny enough, not having a strong enough plot and even can I write 90,000 words, is it any wonder that by the time I get to the computer, my mind freezes?!

But my hubby reminded me that none of that matters if I'm not enjoying the writing. I should stop fretting about things which I can really do nothing about until the book is finished and just write the damn book. And you know, he's right. .

So from Monday, I'm going to try to stop intimidating myself and go back to enjoying the story and the characters.

After all, isn't that why we write in the first place?

Posted by Anna Sugden :: 7:30 AM :: 2 Comments:

Have Something to Say?

---------------------------- ~~~ ----------------------------